Small Pet Diet & Nutrition
We use & recommend Oxbow® Hay & Foods
- Recommended by veterinarians worldwide
- A variety of farm-fresh hay aids in digestion and helps prevent obesity & dental disease in guinea pigs, rabbits & chinchillas
- Fortified foods for all small animals are high in fiber, vitamins & minerals
- Hay is essential for all pets that require high-fiber diets, such as Guinea Pigs, Chinchillas and Rabbits. Without hay, these animals’ intestines actually can’t function properly.
- Hay should make up 75% of the diet for these animals. Be sure to feed a variety of different hays for good health and to keep mealtime interesting!*
- Timothy hay, orchard hay and oat grass are among the most commonly fed small pet foods.
- Grass hay, a source of long-strand fiber, is absolutely vital to the digestive health of Rabbits. It prevents obesity, dental disease, boredom and diarrhea.*
- For Fancy Rats, Fancy Mice, Hamsters and Gerbils, pelleted food will make up the largest part of their diets.
- Rabbits, Chinchillas and Guinea Pigs also eat pellets as part of a balanced diet, though it won’t be the majority of what they consume.
- These fortified pellets ensure a more balanced diet and help to regulate caloric intake.
Fresh Fruits & Veggies
- Most small pets should be fed dark, leafy greens (kale, collard, mustard, dandelion, escarole) and other vegetables (zucchini , broccoli, squash, shredded carrots) every other day. Vegetables should make up roughly 20% of a typical small pet diet.
- Fruits like papaya, banana and melon make a nice once-a-week treat, accounting for about 5% of a healthy small pet diet.
- Don’t serve more fruits and vegetables than your pets can consume in four hours. If your pet hasn’t consumed everything within four hours, be sure to remove anything left over.
- All small animals can benefit from mineral wheels, which are a handy way to ensure mineral requirements are met.
- Most small pets have front and back teeth that continue to grow throughout their lives. Giving them treat sticks or chews will help keep those growing teeth healthy.